Doctor’s Office History

Carriage and Sleigh Collection

Doctor’s Office History

Dr. William Campbell’s office (white building in picture) was moved and restored to the Heritage Village and Farm Museum in 2015.

Dr Campbell (1870-1942) was a well known physician in the East Smithfield, Pennsylvania area that practiced medicine from 1900-1940.  The Building was built in 1896 by William Chamberlain and was donated by George Moss. 

The project to move the building was funded by a raffle, community individuals and a grant from the Bradford County Impact Fee Grant Program.  

Dr. Campbell’s office building was moved by Steve Dizuba and Sons.  Inside it houses medical equipment of the era and a child’s portable Iron Lung used during the Polio outbreak of the 1950’s. Courtesy of Dr. John Brown.

iron lungDoctors Office Building Built in 1869

Inside this doctor’s office building there are many tools of history including a child’s portable Iron Lung machine that was used during the Polio Outbreak of the 1950’s.

Polio was once one of the most feared diseases in the United States in the early 1950’s.  Polio was a contagious virus that affected people differently and there were 119,000 cases of paralytic polio and 6,600 deaths from this virus.

Jonas Salk was the physician to create the first vaccine for Polio and he tested it on himself and his family.  On April 12, 1955 the vaccine was announced and licensed for use. The vaccine was made from inactivated polio virus.