Barber Shop History

Barber Shop History

In the 1800’s the barber wore many hats.  In addition to cutting and shaving hair, they were often called upon to dress wounds and perform surgery. Called barber-surgeons, these knowledgeable men knew how to treat wounds and practiced other essential medical expertise. The Barber Surgeons Guild identifies the duties of these men as including bloodletting, dental extractions, surgery, and even amputations.


Porter’s Barber Shop Building Built in 1800s

The Barbershop had not been used in over 50 years. The last known Barber to utilize this building was Alfred Porter.  The building was on property and was being used for a storage building.  The Barber Shop was donated to the Heritage Village and Farm Museum by Lou Judson who received a replacement storage building. The replacement was provided by the Bradford County Heritage Association.  Few repairs were needed and after  new paint the transformation included many antique features.  There are many that helped to get this building to it’s new home at the Heritage Village and Farm Museum. 

Barber shop inside25 Cents For a Haircut

Porter’s Barber Shop from Columbia Cross Roads PA was donated by Ellen Judson in exchange for a replacement building.

In 1930 you could get a haircut for 25 cents  from   Barber  Porter.

It is unknown when it ceased to be a barber shop, but it has also served as a bachelor residence and storage.

The Barber Pole  was donated by Jim Chamberlain and the chair closest to the front window was donated by Mrs. Tom Dewey, both barbers. The second chair was donated by Wendell and Jo Judson.

The back room is set up as a doctor’s office, a common practice in  earlier times.