The Carriage House is a 125 foot long historic building that was moved to the museum grounds in May of 2005.
It houses over 50 carriages, sleighs and wagons. One of the best carriage and sleigh collections in the Twin Tiers!
Carriage House History
The Carriage House was donated to the Heritage Village and Farm Museum by the Alparon Park Association.
The Historic Merchants Building, the oldest remaining structure on the Troy Fair Grounds was moved to the Heritage Village and Farm Museum (2005) and renamed the ‘Carriage House’. It now houses one of the best carriage and sleigh collections in the Twin Tiers area of New York and Pennsylvania.
According to information gathered from an 1876 Troy Farmer’s Club Fair Book, the gracious old building began its existence on the old Troy Agricultural Free Fairgrounds, located on Fallbrook Road, Troy, PA at their first fair in 1875.
It served as a place for area merchants to bring their store items and wares for display and purchase during fair week. When Alparon Park was chosen as the permanent site for the Troy Fair, the building was brought along.
The move and renovations were made possible through the dedicated efforts of many. A grant was received from the Department of Community and Economic Development , Endless Mountains Region, Heritage Parks Program, PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.
An additional grant from the Pierce Foundation provided funding for the inside renovations.
Donating countless hours and materials for the move and renovations were Hoover Hardware, Dick Sherman, Greg Jones and crew, Dale Palmer, Bruce Staudt, Warner Tractor, Calvin Bristol, Joey Foust, Artie Ellenberger, Robert Storch, Jim Bruce and Dennis Ordway.